Google - The Road Bridge over Eubank Creek, along Old Canton Road, Jackson, MississippiFrom about 1840, the home at Mallbank Plantation stood near this juncture of Eubank Creek and Old Canton Road, on a 400-acre tract three miles north of the City of Jackson. 
                                     __________________

(below) Modern map showing location of Mallbank Plantation within Hinds Counrty, Mississippi. The home was located about where the (H) appears on the map.
Mallbank was a part of the original 5,000-acre plantation in Hinds County, established and developed from 1823 bythe brothers, William, Samuel, Rice, and Burr Garland, sons of Rice Garland (1766-1819) and Elizabeth Hamner, of Albemarle County, Virginia.

Three Sons of James Garland, Sr, of Albemarle County, Virginia.
Rice Garland (1766-1819), William Garland (1746-1777), and James Garland (1753-1781), were sons of James Garland, Sr. (1722-1811) of Albemarle County, Virginia, born  Hanover County, Virginia, the son of John Garland of Hanover, and he the son of Edward Garland, who was an extensive landowner in  Hanover. Edward was a son of the Garland immigrant from Sussex, England, Peter Garland III, who immigrated during mid-1600's to Boston, Massachusetts, and by 1650 was living in New Kent County, Virginia, the parent county of Hanover County,Virginia.

My thanks to family researchers, second cousin, Margaret Jacqueline Moore, who published her research on the Eubank/Garland lineage in 1970, and to Mary L. Garland, for her detailed research of the James Garland, Sr. lineage in 1958.         

                      E

Richard Newman Eubank, Sr.
December 22, 1792  -  April 25, 1871
Mary Camden Ware
October 30, 1803  -  November 2, 1879

by Iris Teta Eubank Wagner
great-great-granddaughter


The Eubank lineage enters the Garland extended family with William Garland (1746-1777) of New Glasgow, Albemarle County, (now Amherst County), Virginia.

A son and daughter of William,  David Shepherd Garland (1769-1841) and Frances Maria Anna Garland  (1763-1843), both connect to the Virginia and Mississippi Eubank lineage.

Frances Maria Anna Garland's husband was Reuben Pendleton.  Their daughter was Nancy Garland Pendleton, whose husband was Capt. James Ware.  Nancy and James's daughter was Mary Camden Ware, whose husband was Richard Newman Eubank, Sr. (1792-1871).

David Shepherd Garland's son, William Henry Garland (1806-1895) (below, left), was husband to Frances Ann Eubank, daughter of Richard Newman Eubank  and Mary' Camden Ware.  Frances Ann's namesake, and her grandmother, was Frances Maria Anna Garland.  who was husband of Reuben Pendleton; their daughter, Nancy Garland Pendleton married Capt. James Ware.  Nancy and James Ware were Mary 's parents.  William Henry Garland and his wife, Frances Ann Eubank, were third cousins.

 William H. Garland was born in 1806, in Amherst County, Virginia and  educated at the College of William & Mary. He partnered with his father  in business  and later established his own  in Amherst, Virginia. 

In 1838 he bought Richard and Mary's Tudor Hall plantation in Amherst County, about 2,000 acres.  Mary's brothers were immigrating to west Tennessee and Mississippi about this time, and she and Richard also wanted to move to Mississippi, as did William H. Garland.   He and Frances Ann were married on May 18, 1840 in Madison County, Mississippi.

By the year 1850, the Eubank family was living at Mallbank.  William H. Garland was serving as Treasurer and Manager of the City of New Orleans.  He and Frances Ann had three children, Eliza Cabell Garland,

 

When William H. Garland and Frances Ann moved to New Orleans, Richard and Mary Eubank bought their plantation in Jackson.  The place was subsequently known as the Eubank home, Mallbank             

Mall Bank Location in Hinds County, Mississippi

Eubank and Dortch research

(above) In this 1861 survey, Old Canton Road (State Street today) is the  line stretching diagonally southwest to northeast across the red bordered survey area, which are the borders of the Mall Bank Plantation.  The small green star on the map is believed by researchers to be the site of the Mall Bank home, three miles north of the center of Jackson.  The house stood at the farthest end of a tree-lined mall located on Old Canton Road.  


Rand McNally - Current View of the area where Eubank Creek crosses the farm site.

Mall Bank was a prosperous farm for forty years.   Richard Eubank, Sr.'s entry on the 1860 U. S. Census for Jackson, Mississippi, shows value of real and personal  property  as $59,000.   Richard Eubank, Jr.  had a tax assessment of $25,000.

Agricultural Record of 1860

In 1860, Mississippi published an Agricultural Schedule for that year listing cotton plantations in each county that produced at least a dozen bales.  Mall Bank
plantation produced 150 bales ; Burr Garland on his large plantation produced  475  bales ;  neighbor  George W. Mims produced 70 bales; 250 bales the nearby Fondren  plantation. 
                                                                                                                     

Episcopal Vestry of Jackson  
Richard Newman Eubank, Sr. was a founding member and vestryman of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Jackson.  He was among eleven vestrymen and two wardens of St. Andrew's Church who were granted a land patent from the State of Mississippi on December 30, 1842, on which to build a church in the City of Jackson.  The patent was signed by the Secretary of State, Lewis G. Holloway. The wardens were Joseph F. Montgomery and Benjamin Albertson.  Vestrymen were Robert Hughes, William Yerger, Burr Garland, Charles Scott, William S. Langley, William H. Young, Lemuel C. Moore, Jones B. Hoffman, Richard N. Eubank, Richard L. Dixon, and Thomas Graves.

The Civil War - Mall Bank was used as Hospital for wounded Federal soldiers
In July, 1863, the Federal army returned from victory at Vicksburg to finish the destruction begun in central Jackson two months earlier in May.   Mall Bank had escaped the May horror, but in July, 1863, Gen. Grant's order was to destroy all within a 15-mile radius of Jackson.  Vastly outnumbered by the Federal army, Confederate General Johnston left Jackson and the area unprotected and marched his troops east across the Pearl River toward Meridian, Mississippi. 

Moving north from the center of Jackson, Federal troops commanded by U.S. Brigadier General Welch and Col. Charles Walcott, moved their troops up Old Canton Road.   Pausing to assess their progress, wagons filled with wounded soldiers began slowly making their way up Mall Bank drive and into the surrounding yard.    Going from room to room at Mall Bank, men dragged  furniture out of the house, left behind by the Eubank family when they sought refuge at their hunting lodge and farm across the Pearl River at Fannin in Rankin County.  Clearing the rooms at Mall Bank to make space for their wounded men, out in the yard the Federals fed their horses from a classic baby-grand piano.  Eyewitness accounts of the event were that . . . . they carried the grand piano out into the yard, and threw hay into it for the horses. (From memories of the Peter and Selina Eubank Rivinac family, Richard Fondren Rivinac, Sr.)  Neither the Eubank family nor the Rivinac family, whose home was across Canton Road from Mall Bank, expected such destruction.  The home and plantation products had survived destruction during the terror that swept through Jackson two months earlier.
                                                                                          
Now, in July, 1863, the Federals  ransacked the house and outbuildings, confiscating plantation products of all kind, everything that the Eubank family might have left behind when making their move, with a number of servants, east across the Pearl River to their hunting lodge, Moss Side.  By the 1870 U. S. Census, Richard and Mary C. Eubank were in residence at Moss Side, their home in Rankin County, Mississippi.

Southern Claims Commission - Petition
In March, 1871, the U. S. Congress created the Southern Claims Commission, which allowed residents of the southern states to apply for compensation of farm produce and stock taken from their farms during the War for the use of the Army  of the United States.  

After Richard N. Eubank, Sr.'s death in April, 1871, Mary C. Eubank, through her lawyer, Harvey Ware, filed the Reparations Petition (shown below),  to the Southern Claims Commission,  on June 13, 1872, for compensation of supplies and stock taken at Mall Bank during the War, amounting to $33,310.   Mary's attorney, Harvey Ware, was the husband of Mary's granddaughter, Mollie Stewart, the child of her daughter, Margaret Eubank Stewart.


ancestry.com

Mary's petition claimed she was deserving of compensation for livestock and products of the farm that the U.S. Army had taken for their use, as the Petition states verbatim:

Taken and used by the division of the Army commanded by General Grant about the 10th or 15th day of July, 1863, while besieging Jackson, State of Mississippi.  General Sherman was in command of this section of the Army, while Brigadier General Welch and Col. Walcott were in immediate command of that portion of the Army occupying the Premises from which the said property was taken.  The Residence, and yard adjacent, for near a month was the Hospital for the Army, the Surgeons of the Army taking full possession of the Property named and using same for the sick and wounded and for the general Service of the army. 
      

Below are the persons named in the Petition who were witness to the taking of the property :

Mrs. Selina Rivinac -  Richard and Mary's daughter Selina was the wife of Peter Rivinac, son of a musically prominent family from Germany, living in Metz, France.  Peter was a student at the Paris Conservatory when he immigrated to America in 1852.   Peter was a professor of music at a girls school in Memphis and composer of dances and marches during the Civil War era.  By 1872, at the time the witnesses gave their depositions in the taking of the supplies, Peter Rivinac owned and operated a photography studio in Canton, Mississippi.
Dr. W. P. [William Preston] Garland
and his family lived at the adjacent residence to Mall Bank and was Mary's cousin.
Richard N. Eubank was Richard and Mary's son who served with the CSA Quarter Master Department under Maj. Livingston Mims in Jackson, and after the Confederates left Jackson, served in Meridian, Mississippi, until the end of the war.
Jordan Eubank
was a freedman.  He had come with the Eubank family from Virginia.
Dennis Lancaster - nearby resident of Mall Bank.
Jefferson Dortch was a neighbor of Dr. Garland.
John Rutherford - nearby resident of Mall Bank.
(not shown above but also a witness)  Sophia Graves - a freedwoman, whose family had come to Mississippi from Virginia with the Eubank family, and she had been Mary's personal servant for many years.  Mary sold fifty acres of land in Rankin to Sophia.  At the time Sophia had signed this petition she was married to a Mr. Graves.  On the 1880 census her entry was as Sophia Eubanks.

Mary was represented in Washington by the law firm of Carlisle and McPherson.  Her attorney in Mississippi was Harvey R. Ware of Jackson, and husband of Mary's granddaughter Mollie Stewart.  Harvey was a brother to Thompson Parrish Ware, a lawyer in Brandon, Mississippi.  Thompson was the husband of Sallie Bullus Smith sister to Jane Catherine Hunter, wife of Richard and Mary Eubank's son, Richard N. Eubank II.  Harvey and Thompson were from the lineage of Dr. James Ware of Caroline County, Virginia, who moved after the Revolutionary War to Kentucky.

There have been no documents found to prove this claim was settled before Mary's death in 1879.  According to an 1879 city sexton's report in Jackson, published in the Weekly Clarion in Jackson, Mississippi, Mary died of consumption at age seventy-two. She was buried in the  Garland-Eubank plot in the Greenwood Cemetery in the center of Jackson.

On March 10, 1876, Carlisle and McPherson retired from the case.  The Petition was sent to attorney A. J. Falls.  Harvey Ware continued to represent Mary's case in Mississippi.                                           

Before the last Federal troups had moved out from the premises at Mall Bank, the Eubank family returned to their old home from the lodge in Fannin, to ask that their house be saved.   The last company was now moving out, and the commander ordered the house burned.  And so it was.   An eyewitness account through very young eyes, was that of Richard Fondren Rivinac.  Richard and his older sister Camilla, and their mother Selina Eubank Rivinac, watched as flames consumed the house and farm buildings.   Selina and her children lived across Canton Road from the Eubank family residence, as Richard's father, Peter Rivinac, joined a Confederate regiment.   Richard and Mary Eubank watched for some time the flames consume their home, and the several outbuildings.  At length, they climbed into the carriage, and rode away, down Mall Bank drive.

The Farm Land at Mall Bank continued the production of cotton after the War ended
The 1866 R. N. Eubank Tax Accounts in Hinds County reveal that the land at Mall Bank continued to produce cotton after the war.   The family also retained such taxable items as a fine carriage and gold watch.  Though their home was gone, the Eubank family  maintained a residence and grew cotton on their Hinds County farm.

Richard N. Eubank II establishes his  Excavation Company.
According to research by Richard's granddaughter, Jacqueline Moore, the daughter of his mother, Jessie Eubank Moore, Richard became ill with tuberculosis  during the time he was in medical school in New Orleans.  By 1854, at age twenty-two, Richard decided not to return to school.  Instead, he wanted to establish an excavation company.  Richard's uncle, James D. Ware, died in Jackson in 1854.  Unmarried and a successful businessman and planter, James left substantial legacies to members of his family, especially to his sister,  Mary C. Ware Eubank, Richard's mother.  Richard began buying tracts at the station stops along the railroad between New Orleans and Jackson.  He graded land at the station stops along the rail road  to make way for the development of streets for the towns, whose populations were already beginning to grow.

Richard would continue his excavation company until the Civil War began.  having had two or three years of medical schooling, he entered the service of the CSA under the command of Major Livingston Mims, whoYears later, Richard II's son, Livingston Mims Eubank, and his first cousin, Richard Fondren Rivinac, would re-locate to Knoxville, Tennessee, to operate the excavation company.  L. Mims' mother, Jane Catherine Hunter Eubank, had business connections through her mother's family, King and Allen, through an old family friend, Joseph Jacques, who was a leader in the banking community there, and from time to time, the mayor of Knoxville.  Knoxville mayors served one-year terms at that time. 

      __________  E  __________ 

 Research, Original Narrative, and Website, copyright Iris Teta Eubank Wagner 2006-2017


Sources of Reference
-- Proof for the Eubank Narratives :

 
1.    Nannie Claiborne Hudson, The Amherst families of George Mason Claiborne and Nannie Eubank Claiborne of Amherst County, Jones Memorial Library, Lynchburg, Virginia, 1980.

  2.    Amherst County Will Book 6 , Amherst County Deed Books E,F,G,H,I, T

  3.    Caroline County Order Books, the transcribed abstracts of  John Frederick Dorman and Ruth and Sam Sparacio.

  4.    T.E. Campbell, Colonial Caroline. 
  5.   Dorothy Ford Wulfeck, Marriages of Some Virginia Residents, 1607 - 1800

 
6.   Warner L. Forsyth, Mosely, Mosly Families, Appendix to Book 1, 2000
 
7.    William F. Boogher, Gleanings of Virginia History, " Newman Family of Virginia," pp237-282.

  8.    Mai Eubank Boatwright (descendant of Elias M. Eubank and Elizabeth W. Thompson, who lived in Texas), and Curtis Humphris ( descendant of John      Eubank and Catharine Rose of Amherst, Virginia) 
 

  9.    Amherst County Court Records, Amherst County, Virginia.

10.   Family record of Sallie Eubank (Mrs. Tucker Eubank) of Amherst County.

11.   Bailey Fulton Davis, The Wills of Amherst County, 1761 - 1865.

12.   Thomas H. Ellis,  A Memorandum of the Ellis Family, Richmond. Virginia, August 14, 1849.

13.   William Hopkins, Caroline County, Virginia, Court Records - Chancery Suits.

14.   Alexander Brown's Early-Settlers List, Alexander Brown Papers, Special  Collection Department, Swem Library, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

15.   1783 Tax List, Amherst County, Virginia,  rootsweb.com.

16.   1785 Tax List, Amherst County, Virginia, rootsweb.com.

17.   1789 Amherst County Land Tax Return of William Ware, Commissioner.

18.   Amherst County Deed Books, E - I,  Amherst County, Virginia.

19.  Bishop William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers, and Families of Virginia, Two Volumes.  Originally published 1857.

20.   1800 Tax List for Lexington Parish, Amherst County, Virginia, Peter P. Thornton, Commissioner.

21.   U.S. Census records, 1810 - 1900, online by Ancestry.com and  Genealogy.com

22.   Margaret Jacqueline Moore, A History of Eubank-Ware-Hunter-Allen Families, Jackson, Mississippi, 1979

23.   The Diary of the Rev. Robert Rose, Essex County, Virginia.

24.   David J. Mays, Edmund Pendleton 1721-1803: A Biography, Vols. I and 2.

25.   Beverly Fleet, Virginia Colonial Abstracts, Vol. 7  King William, Vol. 14   King and Queen

26.   Stratton Nottingham, Wills and Administrations of Accomack County, Virginia 1663-1800

27.   Marshall Wingfield, A History of Caroline County, Virginia

28.   Louis des Cognets, English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records.

29.   Ralph T. Whitelaw, Virginia's Eastern Shore

30.   The Library of Congress, American Memory Collection, Early Virginia Religious Petitions

31.   T. L. C. Genealogy, 1760 Reconstructed Census of Virginia

32.   Bailey Fulton Davis, Deeds of Amherst County, Virginia, 1761-1807, Albemarle Co., Virginia 1748-1763

33.   Clark County Historical Society, Clark County, Kentucky, Chronicles, Winchester 1924, Winchester Public Library, Dr. G. F. Doyle.

34.   Hardesty's Historical Encyclopedia


35.   Lenora Higginbotham Sweeney, Marriage Bonds
and Other Records of
 Amherst County, Virginia, 1763 - 1800

36.   Caroline County, Virginia, Court Records, Probate and other Records from the Court Order and Minute Books, 1781 - 1799.

37.   The Alderman Library, University of Virginia, Manuscript Division, Baylor  papers file #2257

38.   Daughters of the American Revolution, Roster of Revolutionary Ancestors,Vol. II, Betti Boatwright McFaul, Margaret Jacqueline Moore No. 560469 .

39   Virginia Historical Magazine,"The Will of John Baylor of New Market,"  Vol. 24, p.367.

40. Letter from Ambrose Bullard Eubank, 1859, Melrose, Nacogdoches County, Texas, to his sister in Amherst County, Virginia, (Shared by Mrs. Sallie Eubank , Amherst County, Virginia.)

41.   Eubank Family Bible, Richard Newman Eubank, Sr. and Mary Camden Ware Eubank, Amherst County, Virginia; Hinds County, Jackson and Fannin, Mississippi,
published by the Mississippi Genealogical Society, Jackson, Mississippi. 

42.   Walt Whitman's Civil War, review by Brooks Atkinson, The New York Times.  Reprint by DaCapo Publishers.  Originally published by Knopf, New York, 1960.  Drawings by Winslow Homer. 

43.     Douglas C. McLeod, Ferries in Bedford County on the James River, included in Bedford Villages Lost and Found, Vol 2, compiler, Peaks of Otter Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Bedford, Virginia.

44.     Southern Claims Commission,  Mary C. Eubank's Petition to the Southern Claims Commission, June 13, 1872.45.     

45.      1866 Hinds County Tax Accounts - R. N. Eubank items listed.  In addition to acreage, taxable items were a fine carriage and a gold watch

46.  Find-a-Grave Memorial maintained by Linda Thompson, of Eubank burials in Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson, Mississippi.
       __________  E  __________